Leading independent brewer Badger Beers is launching a range of characterful new designs for its range of premium bottled ales, with packs set to appear in various retail outlets in August.
Initially, seven of Badger’s top-selling premium ales will feature the new design, including newly-launched coffee stout, called Master Stoat, with more to follow, including two multi-packs.
The redesign aims to help revitalise the premium bottled category and will present Badger as a unique and innovative brand. It follows a comprehensive review of the Badger portfolio and in-depth consumer research by IGD, which also led to the launch earlier this year of Outland, a sub-brand of canned craft beers.
The new designs feature an illustration of a wildlife character – including a mouse, ferret and hare, among others – above a clear, brief taste description.
Commenting on the new range, Giles Mountford, drinks marketing manager at Badger Beers, said: “One of the take-outs from our research was that the premium bottled ales shelf was a sea of similar looking bottles. Our new bottles feature a harvest mouse in a tracksuit, a boxing hare and a stoat pouring coffee, so we’re certainly adding distinctiveness, innovation and interest!
“Importantly, the designs are unique to Badger, rooted in our Dorset brewing heritage, but with a contemporary twist. So, while we’ve gone more vibrant and quirky to meet the expectations of the new generation of ale drinker we’re aiming to attract, we also have real authenticity underpinning the new look. Research on the new designs showed that current Badger drinkers are also delighted with them as they breathe new life into the beers they know and love.”
In research, 83% of consumers showed interest in buying the new bottles, which scored especially highly on ‘captures attention’, ‘memorable’ ‘easy to understand’ and ‘worth trying’. Greater cohesion in design across the beers has created a stronger Badger brand, encouraging consumers to drink across the range.
The most recent addition to the Badger portfolio is Master Stout, a 5% coffee stout launched earlier this year. With dark, caramelised biscuity notes and a smooth, lasting coffee finish, Master Stout is set to ride the wave of growing consumer demand for stouts.
The seven Badger PBAs initially featuring the new design are: Master Stout, Hopping Hare, Blandford Fly, Cranborne Poacher, Fursty Ferret, Golden Champion and Tangle Foot.
Premium bottled ales: key facts
- 23% of premium ale drinkers are drinking more craft beer than 12 months ago (source: IGD consumer research June 2022: 1046 respondents)
- Ale drinkers and craft beer drinkers regularly drink across the two categories: craft drinkers are the second-biggest ale drinkers (24%) and ale drinkers the second-biggest craft drinkers (8%) (source: Nielsen Homescan, March 2022).
- Craft beer is now a bigger category than PBA
- PBAs tend to appeal more to older, less affluent drinkers, while craft beers appeal to younger and more affluent drinkers
- PBA drinkers don’t currently have an upgrade path within PBA : it’s all one price.